As we continue to recover from the COVID-19 outbreak, if you are planning a move with a professional moving company, you may want to consider some additional actions to help support a safe move. Below are some practical tips designed to assist you with the move process.
You can also see our FAQs here to find answers to your most frequently asked questions.
Before You Move
1. Choose your moving company carefully and ask questions.
Make sure you ask your professional moving company what measures they are taking to ensure a safe move experience with respect to COVID-19. Most reputable movers understand the safety of you and your belongings is critical during any move. However, when it comes to your safety and health, it’s imperative the moving company you choose demonstrates they have you in mind. Below are a few questions to get you started as you vet your movers:
- What precautions are your movers taking to help prevent the spread of COVID-19?
- What precautions do you recommend I take during my move?
- What will you do if it’s discovered that a worker or customer has been diagnosed with COVID-19?
- Do you have a list of FAQs or additional information that addresses moving during COVID-19 that I can review before I schedule my move with you?
2. Consider a virtual moving quote.
Virtual survey offers an alternative to the traditional in-person moving estimate allowing you to remotely walk an estimator through your home using video chat on your mobile device.
Check with your moving company to find out how you can best prepare for their virtual quote process. If you choose to try our Virtual Survey tool, here are a few things you can do to prepare for your remote estimate:
- Make sure your phone or tablet is fully charged.
- Make sure you have a strong Wi-Fi signal. If you are not connected to Wi-Fi, data charges may apply.
- Turn on the lights in all of the rooms you will be showing to your estimator.
- Open all cabinets and closets for items inside you will need us to move.
- Have a tape measure on hand, just in case your estimator needs you to measure an item for accuracy.
Interested in getting a moving quote from Mayflower? Click here or call us at 877-720-4066 and receive a fast and easy moving quote today!
Hiring professional cleaners to help with your move-in/move-out cleaning tasks can be an excellent time-saving option. However, you may also choose to do the house cleaning yourself.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provides general recommendations for routine cleaning of households:
- Practice routine cleaning of frequently touched surfaces (for example: tables, doorknobs, light switches, handles, desks, toilets, faucets, sinks, and countertops with “products suitable the surface, following label instructions.”
- Pay close attention to the safety instructions when using cleaning products. For example, never mix bleach with ammonia or any other cleaner; wear rubber gloves and other protective wear, if indicated; increase ventilation by opening windows and doors to allow in fresh air.
During Your Move (Your Movers Have Arrived for Loading and Unloading)
4. Greet with a smile, not a handshake.
It’s not rude; it’s simply safer to use other non-contact methods of greeting.
5. Maintain a six-foot distance.
As your drivers and workers load and unload your belongings, practice social distancing AND refrain from helping with the move — let them do it. If possible, keep children, pets and vulnerable household members in a separate area.
6. Wash hands.
Request your movers wash their hands at the door and at regular intervals. It’s also a good idea to limit restroom use to one restroom in the house. Provide cleaning wipes for doorknobs and light switches in the restroom and near entryways.
7. Practice CDC recommended protocol to decrease the spread of the virus.
These recommendations include but are not limited to the following: wearing masks and/or creating reminders to avoid touching the face, limiting food sharing, scheduling regular hand washing reminders by email/text notifications and regularly cleaning surfaces. For more information on what you can do to limit the spread of COVID-19, click here.
8. If at any point before or during your move, you suspect you’ve been exposed to the virus or have symptoms, contact your mover to determine what to do.
After Your Move
9. Thoroughly clean your new home before you unpack and settle in.
In addition to cleaning your furniture and belongings as you unpack, make sure to properly dispose of all packing materials. Contact your local government agency if you have questions regarding the disposal or recycling of boxes and other packing material.
*These Guidelines represent recommendations based on current CDC Guidelines and are subject to change based on our evolving understanding of COVID-19; the availability of equipment; the personal preferences of each customer; and other federal, state and local regulations that may be issued from time to time.
Updated June 4, 2021.
Helping Customers Everywhere
If you are planning an upcoming move or have questions about a current move, our Mayflower representatives are here to help you schedule a Virtual Survey, find the information you need and answer any questions you have.
New Customers: 877-720-4066
Current Customers: 800-241-1321
COVID-19 Questions: 888-705-3350