- Before you pack the lamp base, remove the light bulb and the lamp harp. Wrap each piece individually in news wrap. Place the pieces in a box, packing the empty space well with crushed paper. It is okay to pack more than one lamp per box if space allows.
- Do not wrap lampshades in printed newspaper. Instead, use tissue paper, a pillowcase, unprinted news wrap or a lightweight towel.
- Choose a box at least two inches larger than your lampshade. Place a layer of crushed paper under the lampshade. Line the shade with clean paper, but do not add crushed paper around the shade. Do not pack anything else with your lampshades.
- If your shade is not silk and it is large enough that a smaller shade can placed inside of it without touching, then you can safely nest the two shades together. Otherwise, pack them separately.
You’ll find additional moving tips here:
- Official moving checklist
- Non-allowable checklist
- How to move appliances