When planning a move, one of the most important details that could get overlooked is making sure you have adequate moving supplies. Packing with durable moving boxes, padding, wrap and tape helps you to secure your valuables during a move. Use our model moving supply checklist to start packing today.
Before You Pack, Make Sure You Have the Right Moving Supplies
Before you pack, determine which of your items require special packaging and make sure you have all the moving supplies on hand you’ll need to pack your belongings sufficiently. Here is a list of the items we recommend if you are self-packing; however, always remember that if you don’t have the time or energy to pack, Mayflower offers both full and partial packing options for your move.
- Moving Boxes – There are many sizes of moving boxes to choose from. Depending on what size and type of item you are packing, the moving box you choose can make all the difference in how well it is packed.
- Dish Pack Kit – Dish pack kits are compartmentalized to accommodate dinner plates, salad plates, saucers and bowls. Many kits include foam padding to enclose and isolate each piece.
- Glass Pack Kit – Glass pack kits are compartmentalized to accommodate glassware, crystal and stemware. Many kits include foam padding to enclose and isolate each piece.
- Unprinted News Wrapping Paper – Unprinted news wrap is an ideal and inexpensive way to wrap fragile items during a move. Unprinted, undyed paper stock provides the added advantage of a cleaner, ink-free move.
- Bubble Wrap – A large roll of bubble wrap goes a long way on moving day. Bubble wrap can be used to enclose fragile items and to insulate voids along the sides of boxes.
- Stretch Plastic Wrap – An industrial-strength version of your standard kitchen plastic wrap, this wrap is used to bind items together (e.g., electrical cords, dresser drawers, couch cushions, etc.). Plastic wrap might help offer some barrier to furniture from scratches, dust and some types of damage.
- Furniture Pads – Frequently used to cover large appliances and furniture, you don’t have to worry about getting these durable, thick blankets dirty.
- Permanent Markers – Permanent markers are absolutely necessary to communicate with your moving crew. Be sure to mark cardboard boxes with your inventory information.
- Box Tape Dispenser – When taping a large number of boxes, you’ll want a proper dispenser to speed progress. A tape gun will lay seams straight down and help you keep your fingers clear of a sticky mess when cutting. Don’t forget the tape refills!
- Box Cutter – You’ll come to appreciate a sharp box cutter when it comes time to unload. Tape, adhesive and cardboard can dull your knife faster than you think.
Aside from all of these supplies, understanding what kind of box to pack up your household goods helps you prepare for your move.
Types of Moving Boxes
- Small Moving Boxes – Small boxes are ideal for heavy or fragile items that must be packed on their own and will aide ease of handling.
- Medium Moving Boxes – Medium boxes tend to be among the most commonly used moving boxes. They are ideal for small appliances and other household items. These boxes are often most compatible with dish pack and glass pack inserts for glassware.
- Large Moving Boxes – Large boxes are ideal for lightweight and medium-weight goods like lampshades, throw pillows and clothing.
- X-Large Moving Boxes – X-Large boxes are ideal for bulky yet lightweight soft goods like comforters, blankets, clothing and pillows.
- Heavy-Duty Boxes – Heavy-duty boxes are reinforced with thicker walls for heavier applications. These may be ideal for packing electronics, book collections and dishes.
- Wardrobe Boxes – A wardrobe box is constructed with a hanger bar so that you can transfer shirts, blouses and suits directly from the closet into the box without folding your clothes. These boxes come in several heights to accommodate longer items such as dresses and pants.
- Electronics Boxes – Electronics boxes are specially sized for your home entertainment devices such as streaming media players, surround sound stereos and gaming systems.
- Download Our Free Moving Supplies Checklist
A smooth packing and moving experience requires gathering the necessary supplies. We have created model checklists to help you organize and plan accordingly. Get your moving supplies ahead of time so you can enjoy a safe, well-organized move. If possible, prepare for this step six weeks before your move date. Download our free moving supplies checklist today!
For more information about moving supplies and packing, take a look at Packing 101: 13-Step Moving & Packing Checklist and our packing videos.
Are you interested in Mayflower packing for you? Learn more about our packing and unpacking services here.